Why should I choose the Women’s Aid Center to have an abortion?
Women’s Aid Center is a small, private clinic owned and managed by women and it maintains a high commitment of professionalism to provide the finest healthcare possible. The safety and well-being of our patients is always our first priority. We meet with each patient privately in a doctor’s office environment to discuss concerns and needs because we respect your individuality, dignity and trust in us.
Is everything we discuss confidential?
Our clinic follows the strict confidentiality guidelines. No one will have access to your medical records unless personally authorized by you.
What are the symptoms of pregnancy?
Pregnancy symptoms differ from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy; however, one of the most significant pregnancy symptoms is a delayed or missed menstrual cycle. If you have been sexually active and missed your menstrual cycle, it is important to take a pregnancy test.
Understanding the signs and symptoms of pregnancy is important because each symptom may be related to something other than pregnancy. Some women experience signs or symptoms of pregnancy within a week of conception. For other women, pregnancy symptoms may develop over a few weeks or may not be present at all.
Below you will find some of the most common pregnancy signs and symptoms.
- A delayed or missed period is the most common pregnancy symptom leading a woman to test for pregnancy. When you become pregnant, your next period should be missed. Many women can bleed while they are pregnant, as the embryo implants itself into the uterine wall. Some women will experience spotting as well as some cramping but typically the bleeding will be shorter or lighter than a normal period.
- A swollen or tender breast is a pregnancy symptom which may begin as early as 1-2 weeks after conception. Women may notice changes in their breasts; they may be tender to the touch, sore, or swollen.
- Feeling fatigued or more tired is a pregnancy symptom which can also start as early as the first week after conception.
- Nausea/Morning Sickness. This well known pregnancy symptom will often show up between 2-8 weeks after conception. Some women are fortunate to not deal with morning sickness at all, while others will feel nauseous throughout most of their pregnancy.
- Lower backaches may be a symptom that occurs early in pregnancy; however, it is common to experience a dull backache throughout pregnancy.
- Headaches. The sudden rise of hormones in your body can cause you to have headaches early in pregnancy.
- Frequent Urination. Around 6-8 weeks after conception, you may find yourself making a few extra trips to the bathroom.
- Darkening of Areolas. If you are pregnant, the skin around your nipples may get darker.
- Food Cravings or Food Aversions. While you may not have a strong desire to eat pickles and ice cream, many women will feel cravings for certain foods when they are pregnant. This can last throughout your entire pregnancy. Some women develop aversions to certain types of food early in pregnancy and this too can last for the next 9 months.
Do I need to see a doctor for a pregnancy test and ultrasound?
No. It is not necessary because we will be performing a pregnancy test and ultrasound along with your other laboratory tests on the day of your visit.
Which type of abortion, medical or surgical should I choose?
If you just found out that you are pregnant (you are late with your period and your pregnancy test is positive) the non-surgical (medical) option is the best for you. Some women feel the medical abortion procedure may be more advantageous because it can be done earlier in pregnancy. They do not want to undergo surgery and they feel that the abortion pill offers more privacy since the procedure is generally completed at home. You can choose to be alone or with the companion, friend, or family member around.
If you found that your pregnancy is longer then 6 weeks from the last menstrual period and shorter than 13 weeks, you can consider a surgical abortion with a local or twilight anesthesia. Some women feel the surgical procedure is better for them because it will be performed in the healthcare facility and the pregnancy will be fully terminated by the time the patient leaves.
Each woman may decide which procedure is best suited for her individual needs.
How early in my pregnancy I can have an abortion?
You are qualified to have a medical abortion as early as urine pregnancy test will show a positive result.
When do I get my normal period after an abortion?
In most cases, you will get your normal menstrual period from 4 to 8 weeks after the abortion. If you do not get your period in 8 weeks, please let us know.
Can I use tampons after an abortion?
We advise you not to use tampons for at least two weeks after surgical or medical abortion. Please use sanitary pads to avoid possibility of infection.
What if I am Rh negative?
“RH negative” blood type is inherited, like eye color. If you are Rh negative you must receive a special injection (RhoGAM) in our clinic to illuminate complications with future pregnancies. This injection will be given to you free of charge.
If my pregnancy test is positive the week after an abortion, am I still pregnant?
Pregnancy hormone can be in your body up to 4 weeks after a medical abortion. Please wait till you have a follow up visit to the clinic (in 2-3 weeks) and we will perform all the necessary tests to make sure you are no longer pregnant.
Can I have sex after an abortion?
We ask that you wait at least 2 weeks from the time of your abortion before engaging in sexual activity due to susceptibility to infection.
Can I exercise or lift heavy boxes at work after a medical or surgical abortion?
Please restrain from any strenuous activity such as jugging, swimming or weight lifting for at least two weeks after abortion or till you see a doctor for a follow up visit. If you lift heavy boxes or run on a treadmill, you might start bleeding more than normal.
Do you provide Birth Control pills after my abortion?
When you come back for a follow up visit, we will discuss different birth control options. We will give you samples of birth control pills on the day of your appointment. You can start taking them right away.
Do you offer a payment plan?
We regret that we are unable to provide payment plans. Payment is expected in full at the time of your procedure appointment. For your convenience we accept cash and all major credit cards, but no personal checks.